Saturday, January 15, 2011

comfort food

Let me talk a little bit about comfort foods...because if you have read my little bio, you would notice talking and eating are my two main talents...lol. So, one of my favorite comfort foods to make is a banana sandwich; let me describe this sweet indulgence to you. First you lightly toast two waffles. Then you spread them with thick, creamy peanut butter and some marshmallow fluff (this can get messy, but they yummy concoction overrides the clean-up frustrations). Then you slice up the banana and place the slices all over your sandwich. But...we are not done yet...for extra sweetness, you then throw some mini chocolate chips on there, pour yourself a large glass of cold milk and....mmmmmmmmmmm....enjoy!

This seems to make things all better after a rough day. But lately I have been having a rough few months, soooo, I can engorge myself on a few of these each day, and then no longer be able to fit out the door (because if you are good at quickly examining food and evaluating calories, the above ingredients are probably far off the charts of a nutritious snack), or I need to find another source of comfort! Or should I say, I need to remember my true source of comfort....

While searching for some instrumental music for my classroom (I always start the mornings off playing music while the students are coming in), I found a few wonderful, relaxing, and renewing albums. This is a link to the one I am playing right now, and downloading from itunes by Julie True: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/breathe-you-in/id338093009

It is titled Breath You In...this is what we all need to stop and do right now...in Isaiah, His word instructs us to "be still and know that I am God", and still is defiantly not a word that normally describes me, or my mind. I have been going full charge now for a long time...

I feel like one of those cartoon characters, such as Wile E Coyote, who has just been electrocuted/fried/blown-up, and then turns into a pile of soot and ashes. I am that pile on the ground. Done. Nothing left.

And in the mist of my mess, I feel like my two precious children have paid the price. I have been so negative, stressed, angry, and overwhelmed. So I have collapsed at my Savior's feet last night and cried out to Him for strength, peace, and wisdom. I just want to soak in his presence, breathe in His peace, bask in His glory. I want to stop. I want to be still. And I want more of Him.

I can, like we all do, search for answers and comfort in so many places, but I will never find exactly what I am looking for until I completely release myself to Him, and allow Him to truly be my ultimate source. I can claim this well known promise to be mine, "they that wait upon the Lord, shall renew their strength, they shall run and not grow weary".

My Jesus is faithful, He is there at the call of His name...and I know that He has me in His arms of comfort and everything....will be OK. So today on our to do list: just breathe.

1 comment:

http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/54491/88/0DF25E579D18CCD4DD3E3405146F9315.png

Related Posts with Thumbnails