Thursday, January 21, 2010

define yourself

I know I make a lot of comments about how I have been alone for a long time....but it is when God is all you have...you truly find that He is all that you need.
This concept I did not fully grasp until this last year or so.....unfortunately I spent too much time the last six years after my divorce trying to understand what is wrong with me and why am I alone....I have spent most of my life dealing with the straining battle of insecurity.
I was never good enough....
But by whose standards?
How do you define yourself?
Is it by the highly impossible to reach standards of the world? (certain size, right color...this can refer to hair as well..gotta love the blonde jokes..lol...biggest bank account, if you are married or divorced, career, ect.)
Is it by the qualifications that past boyfriends/girlfriends or out of reach men/women put on you?
Is it by the hopes and dreams that you strive for, yet fail to reach daily...leaving you constantly feeling in a pit of emptiness?
Do you take any negative comment that comes your way as your manual that defines the very depths of who you are?
If any or all of these are true; or if you are constantly attacked by any other form of self-criticism that rips apart your life and leads it down a dark road of destruction....which is exactly what insecurity can do; then I would like to show you the only standard that you should use to define yourself. And you can cast all the other deceiving/degrading self checklists back into the pit of hell from which they came! Those lies that are being whispered in your mind that you will never amount to anything, that you are useless, or unworthy, or a mistake, or unlovable....those lies come from hell and to hell they need to be delivered back--by use of express packaging! And the following are some labels that you can paste on the package sent to the master of deception to show him you no longer believe his line of lies:
  • "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name" John 1:12
  • "I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Psalm 139:13-15
  • "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" Philip 1:5-7
  • "So God created man in His own image" Gen. 1:26
  • "giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love." Colossians 1:12-13
  • "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinth. 12:9
  • "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" Romans 8:1

These are promises printed in the word of God....and it is for you..yes you! I don't care who you are, or what you are going through, or how you feel about yourself right now.....stop believing the lies and hear the truth--the only truth that you should use to define who you are!

These words from a God who created you state: that He made you in His image (which equals awesome), will continue to develop Godly character in you and never give up on you, that you are a saint and an heir to a throne (one that sure beats all earthly thrones put together and then some), and that it is OK when you are weak because He is powerful and He is in you, and that you are wonderful!

So whenever you are questioning who you are....read the words of the one who loves you enough to die for you, cares for you enough to take all your burdens on Himself, and sees the very depths of your heart even at its ugliest moments, yet still calls you His beloved child. These are truths to hold onto even in your darkest hours....which because I have suffered years of doubting who I am in Christ; I know all about those life-threatening pits of insecurity, and I will do all I can to reach out to you and pull you from that pit and set you on the solid rock of Christ.

I have learned not to seek after my value in worldly things, or in a man, or in other relationships. It has been a long journey out of my pit, but from where I stand now...I see a beautiful sight...even in my own reflection....because I see Christ in me.

Find your completion in Christ alone.

Whenever those negative thoughts began to crowd my mind and choke the hope of a life that God has called me to live, the following songs have always helped lift me back up to higher ground:

You're the One" by a collage friend of mine Devin Williams on his album Pour it Out (you can find it on itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pour-it-out/id302129791, rhapsody, amazon, cdbaby, and reverbnation) The whole album is defiantly worth it; I play it all the time, and I am so thankful for his heart and ministry. But this song is my favorite and speaks to my heart every time I listen to it. It reminds me that it is Christ who completes me, and He is all I need...and it is not about what I want but about His will for my life.

Also "You are For Me" by Kari Jobe http://my.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZPersonalizer.woa/wa/viewCMA?id=303754179

And "Wallflower" by Laura Woodley (which I apologize I cannot seem to find it anywhere...if anyone knows where to find it; please post a comment. Thanks)

These songs really encourage me when I am feeling unworthy I hope they uplift you as well....just remember to find your confidence in Christ and smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/54491/88/0DF25E579D18CCD4DD3E3405146F9315.png

Related Posts with Thumbnails